Sunday, October 21, 2012

Angel Boy

So......we lost.  Not much of a news flash, but there it is.  At least we got the score to a respectable 43-21 before the game ended.  I don't think we could've handled the consequences of a single digit score.

Any-whooo.....

I previously wrote about going to a university full of pretty people.  This still remains true, however, I wrote with only the female gender in mind.  Today, I'm latching onto the topic of Pretty People - Male Edition.

ASU is filled with every kind of guy; the Humble Nerd, the Geeky Physist, the Boneheaded Frat Brother, and every other mixture in between that you can think of.  However, regardless of the caste that they fit themselves into, there's a rather large percentage (I'd say in the 60% range) that are just as handsome/cute/HOTT as their female counterparts.

This is both a pro and a con.  Pro?  I do enjoy candy, and eye-candy is among the sweetest ;)

Con?  These guys know that they look good, and for the most part, they aren't afraid to flaunt it....directly in the line of sight of the Pretty People I am cursed to breathe air with.  They are sometimes arrogant and judgemental, and regardless of how hard I try, tend to make me feel self-conscious.

And don't get me wrong, there are some very sweet, very attractive guys here as well.  I just happen to be friends with them.  As in, JUST FRIENDS.  And I wouldn't change it for anything, but I'm just saying, I do not enjoy going from hot to cold in the span of sixty seconds.  'Tis not enjoyable, fine fellows, and I dare say it has put me on edge!

I am now receiving strange looks from my festive, painted pumpkin, since I acted that out as if I were a knight of yore.





But, there was a point to this post, and I am going to get to it.

I am a reader.  Avidly.  I consume books the way I've seen my male relatives consume food during game time.  And I've been getting tired of the way that protags describe their Main-Man as, "heartbreakingly beautiful, despite the fact that beautiful was a feminine word".  You know what I am talking about.

I've always seen attractive guys as either Cute, Handsome, Rugged/Dangerous, or Just Seriously Hott.  Never, "heartbreakingly beautiful", and so I was beginning to wonder if this was just some author-drabble used to spice up a plot.

Dear readers, they have not been lying.

The other day, I was late to my Comm lecture (ironic, since I had literally just posted about how I pride myself on leaving 15 minutes ahead of time to get there). I miraculously arrived only two minutes after the lecture started, and there were still empty seats up front that I could grab.  I was looking for my usual Comm Buddy (who's name I STILL don't know), and was surprised/disappointed when I saw she wasn't there.

Two guys were.  Two guys that I have never seen before in my life, let alone in the front row.  There was one seat between them.  And I was put in that awkward situation of having marched down the hall, confident of my place, only to be forced to make a five second decision whether to bail or take the seat.

I almost took a seat further down the row, rather than in the center, but then, He looked up.

The guy on the right was Cute. Dark hair, dark eyes, sporting a Mediterranean tan and sporting a bro-tank and cargo shorts that screamed, "Longboarder!"  (BTW, he did ride a longboard to class).

The guy on the left was, to reuse the piece of author-drabble I'd so despised after seeing it for so long, "heartbreakingly beautiful".

I don't know if you've ever read any of her books, but if you haven't, I recommend reading Lisa Desrochers's YA trilogy, Personal Demons.  It's complete, it's delicious, and it's a convincing portrayal of a love triangle.  The protag, Frannie, is torn between the *sexy, dangerous* demon, Luc (all dark hair/eyes and a wicked smile) and the *beautiful/loving* angel, Gabe.

And, dear God, Angel Boy is in my Comm class.

Quick description: lean, and well built, AZ tan, pale blonde hair that is naturally curly, a gorgeous face, a pale blue eyes that compelled me to sit down.

He also wore a pair of MEK jeans, and that, if nothing else, would endear him to me/my friends for a lifetime.  I'll probably do a post on guy's jeans soon, come to think of it....

Anyway, I took the seat between the two guys, and though we didn't speak, I couldn't help but think about how every time I'd read that phrase over and over, in hundreds of different novels, I'd scoffed at the idea of a guy, so beautiful it was heartbreaking.

Note to self.  Angel Boy does exist.  And I will never scoff again.

No comments:

Post a Comment