Thursday, October 18, 2012

Detente

It's a huge night for ASU tonight. For all of you College Football fans, you are probably all aware of the much anticipated matchup between the AZ Sun Devils and the Oregon Ducks. And  OMG, you guys, if you were here on campus, you'd think we were expecting U of A (aka, the Source of All That is EVIL).  It's been insane!

You may have also heard of the prank that Oregon fans played on us Sun Devils, in the wee hours of the morn.  On Tempe Butte lays the iconic, and historic 'A' for ASU. Usually, it is painted Gold and can be seen from miles around. In the beginning of the year, Freshman join in the tradition of "White-Washing the A", painting it white in an effort to celebrate the new year. For this particular game, which is being called a 'Black Out', the A was painted black as well.

Oregon does not like black. And so, they painted it bright, Oregon green this early morning.  Not even three hours later, it was Back to Black. I can't help but be amazed at the efficiency on such aspects here.

Anyway...seeing/participating in this rivalry made me think about one of my earlier posts, and the seeming rivalry that would soon consume my dorm room.

My roommate and I (let's call her Sansa, and I am Daenerys) have reached a comfortable, pleasant, and dare I say it, friendly, camaraderie over the past two months.  I believe that those first two weeks were stressful and combustible because it was new, it was different and I had to adjust.

My friends, I have adjusted.

We've found several points that we agree/share a passion for (sleeping, respect, Avatar: The Last Airbender [the television show, not the God-awful live action film], Avatar: The Legend of Korra, The Avengers, Star Trek, Glee). We enjoy similar music tastes (except Sansa despises country, and I just laugh at her, and give her a pitying smile saying, 'Honey, you're living in the Wild West now. You offend Carrie, Miranda, Taylor, Brad, Luke, Blake, Dustin, etc., you offend the entire State!')

Sansa is a bit more cynical than me, and bit more judgemental (I mean, I can be judgy, but Sansa is judgy about EVERYTHING) but we get along well, and way better than our Suitemates.

In other words, I went from living with a Cersei to living with Sansa (except, I don't see my roommate as being anywhere near as vulnerable and deserving of my sympathy as the Game of Thrones Sansa).

Currently, the score is 15-7, Ducks.  Come on Sun Devils! Fork 'em! We're on a Duck Hunt!!!

Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment